I’m hopping on the 25 things party train!
Let’s see…I’m supposed to list 25 random things. Random? I can do random with my hands tied behind my back. Random is my middle name. Just kidding, it’s Aimee.
1. Speaking of my middle name, my mother wanted to name me Aimee Susan Snider. Then it occurred to her that my sweet southern monograms wouldn’t be so sweet with those initials. So she switched it to Susan Aimee. Initials: SAS. Much more fitting. At least I like to think so. 😉
2. I like this photo of Hannah and I because it is one of the few photos taken at precisely the right angle to hide my 27 chins.
3. Back at the beginning of January, I gave up Diet Coke. Cold Turkey. From 6-8 cans of fizzy goodness per day to zilch, nada, zip. Now it’s all water, all the time. My joints are thanking me.
4. Jake (who I call my baby, but he is the oldest) is graduating in June and will head off to college (probably Auburn) this fall. My heart will shatter into a million tiny pieces.
5. My husband and I met on a blind date. We were set up by a mutual guy friend who told me we were PERFECT for each other. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary next month. Alan, you couldn’t have been more right.
6. I love country music. But then again, there aren’t many types of music I don’t like.
7. If I could be anything, it would be a wildlife photographer.
8. We have lived in Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Utah, Colorado, Connecticut, Canada, and Illinois. I have so many memories and friends from each and every place and I wouldn’t trade those experiences for anything.
9. One of our greatest parenting accomplishments is that our kids have incredible manners. Yes ma’am, no ma’am, yes sir, no sir are the only acceptable responses. No yeps, yeahs, or uh-huh’s around here. Please, thank you and excuse me are used frequently. People ask me all the time how I got such polite children. The obvious answer is that we taught them to be polite from the time they could talk. But the REAL answer is one of my best parenting secrets EVER, bribery. When my kids were little and we’d go out in public, the rule was that if they got complimented on their manners/behavior by total strangers (waiters, cashiers, doctors, nurses, receptionists, etc.) they would get a surprise. Nothing big, some little toy from the dollar section but boy did it work. And all these years later, I still get comments about how polite my kids are. They rock.
10. I cannot wait till spring/summer. When the hockey rink thaws out we are going to turn that whole area into a garden. We’ve had tiny ones before, but this one is going to be awesome. If you have any tips/websites/resources on organic gardening…please comment!
11. I’m getting the new puppy itch. Riley needs a friend. A pal to run and galavant with. Muffin doesn’t run. Or galavant. She is a lazy lump of fur.
12. Garage sale season is right around the corner. Is it weird that I’m so excited about it?
13. I drive a pickup truck. It was originally my husband’s but I “borrowed” it constantly for my business. So he traded in my suv and got something else, so the truck is officially mine. I love it. Josh, my 13 year old? Not so much. He says it’s embarrassing to be picked up by his mom in a pickup.
14. Maybe the fact that it is usually filled with furniture and/or roadside rescues has something to do with it?
15. My hubby refers to me as Sanford (the junk dealer from Sanford and Son). My cellphone ringtone is the theme from Sanford and Son. It’s a catchy little tune and makes me smile every time it rings.
16. I will be 44 this summer. For me, the 40’s brought strength, confidence and freedom. I spent way too many years worrying about what other people think.
17. My degree is in elementary education. I taught in public and private schools for several years and then home schooled my own children for five years. I loved homeschooling my children but could probably never teach other people’s children again.
18. I think Gilmore Girls was the best show on television. Hands down. Hannah and I have the whole DVD set and can recite lines like nobody’s business.
19. My mom arrived yesterday for a visit. She is so much fun. Things that I’ve never heard come out of her mouth? No, I don’t feel like it…No, just go without me. All I have to say is “Hey mom, do you want to…” And she’s reaching for her shoes and halfway out the door.
20. Urban Farmgirl (Mary) is now selling her ahhmazing vintage goods at Tattered Tiques. I had the pleasure of meeting her there yesterday. I got my first “pay check” and turned right around and basically handed it to Mary. You should see the goodies I bought from her! I have a feeling this will be a pattern!
21. I have lost about 10 pounds since January. Probably because the ginormous jar of peanut m&m’s in the kitchen has been dumped and refilled with almonds. And because of #3. And I’m eating healthy. Now if only I could be as passionate about exercise as I am about blogging. Newsflash…blogging doesn’t make your butt smaller.
22. Technically, it’s now probably only 23 chins.
23. My favorite shake-your-groove-thang song ever is Brick House by the Commodores. It is physically impossible to remain still while that song plays. Many spontaneous family dance parties have occurred in our kitchen to that song.
24. Super Freak, by Rick James is a close second.
25. Life is good. My heart is overflowing. I’m blessed beyond measure.
Linking up here at Shaunna’s 25 things party!